PROMAPIR – Protection and Management of Palm Island Reserve
The Palm Island Reserve and Mina Port
Protect and manage the Palm Islands Reserve that is considered an environmental fortune. Improving its conditions as well as spreading the culture of managing, maintaining, and preserving this protected area in addition to highlighting its economic, touristic, and environmental value and importance. The PROMAPIR Project will comply with the top needs and priorities for the improvement of the Palm Islands Reserve’s conditions.
- Enhancing the protection and sustainable development of maritime resources of Palm islands reserve and its bordering (coastline, fishermen, boats, port), through the recovery of affected marine ecosystems and development of marine and coastal biodiversity. Also through raising the awareness of the local population, fishermen, tourists and capacity building for Palm islands reserve staff and management team. Moreover reinforcing laws, internal rules and restrictions in the reserve and supporting their application to prevent any problems that might happen from lack of management.
- Highlighting on the environmental and economic interest of marine reserve (Palm islands reserve) and promote the protection of this reserve. Through focusing on the touristic view of the island to allow it to attract people more than pushing them away (Cost, ease of transportation, standards and quality of boats, etc...)
- A need assessment study of the current situation of the reserve to define the needs and the priorities and create a base for the launching of the project through site inspection and meetings between all parties involved to discuss ideas and share different options and the best solutions.
- Rehabilitation of the existed facilities and supplying the Palm islands reserve with the needed equipment and removing all structures not complying environmental criteria at Palm islands reserve. Through defining the main concerns for accessibility and satisfactory solutions and results.
- Ensuring the safety at Palm islands reserve and protect marine and coastal ecosystem and marine biodiversity. For example the blow fish that kills all other fish in the sea has to be solved with the specialists to find a way to fix it and protect other species.
- Gathering all stakeholders in a platform in order to preserve the marine environment and ensure the sustainability of the actions through meetings, workshops and trainings.
- Installation of new fences
- Collecting the stones of the church
- Restoration of the fresh water well
- Installing new eco-friendly floating dock for boats
- Installing welfare facilities for men and women with treatment station
- Installing oil tanks on Mina port for collecting oil
- Emergency equipment and first aid kits
- Planting 20 palm trees
- Installing underwater reproduction caves for fish
- Installing sensors for marine water monitoring
“This project is important on so many levels, whether it be to the eco system with emphasis on the fish and turtle’s reproduction, or in terms of marine pollution and reducing and monitoring it. Even on an economical scale it should have a major impact. So, it is clearly a fruitful basket in which more than one sector will benefit!; Aziz Zok – Field Officer on the PROMAPIR project states
© 2018. Development for People and Nature Association